In the Early Days

The History of Berkhamsted Bowmen

The present club Berkhamsted Bowmen was formed in 1950 and has shot regularly ever since. Their trophies are named for persons past and present who have contributed to the tradition of archery in Berkhamsted.

Today we are a family orientated club with a proud history. We have more than 50 club members and take an active role in the local community supporting many local charities. We welcome more members every year and strive to keep up the proud tradition of archery in Berkhamsted.

During the spring of 1950, the Berkhamsted Centre for Further Education ran an Archery class on Wednesday evenings in Rectory Meadow. The equipment was supplied by Herts County Council and the first instructor was Mr C. P Jay. The revival of this ancient sport in Berkhamsted brought so many members that it was suggested that a club be formed which took place on 24th May 1950. At the first meeting of the Club a demonstration was given by Miss Emson, one time Southern Counties Champion, and for those interested there was second hand equipment for purchase.

From the left: Miss Dixon, Miss Gregory, Mrs Spence, Mrs Dixon and Miss Myers.

Miss Emson, one time Southern Counties Champion with other Club Members

50th Anniversary

In the year of the Millenium Berkhamsted Bowmen celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the club with a celebratory shoot at Berkhamsted Castle (courtesy of English Heritage). To find out more about the event please Click Here.